Required German skills
If you have acquired your university entrance qualification abroad, proof of German language skills is required when applying to h_da for a German-language degree programme. If you are applying for an English-language degree programme, proof of German language proficiency is normally not required.
There are differences between the minimum requirements to apply successfully via uni-assist and the knowledge you need to be actually enrolled in a degree programme:
Minimum requirement to apply
You must be able to prove a minimum level of German language skills by the application deadline. The following certificates are accepted at h_da for this purpose, a certificate of attendance is not sufficient:
- German Language Test for the Admission of Foreign Study Applicants (DSH) with level DSH-1 as minimum
- Goethe Certificate B2: major German Language Diploma
- telc German B2 university certificate
- German Standing Conference of Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs – Level DSD II: all sub-areas at level B2
- TestDaF (German as a Foreign Language Test): the result in each of the subtests must be at least 3
- ÖSD C1
- Completion of the upper level in Germany /C1 certificate of a private institute
With these language certificates, however, you cannot enrol in a study programme. Please note the minimum requirement for studies.
Minimum requirement for studies
In order to enrol for the desired degree programme, you must submit one of the following documents as proof of your language qualification:
- German Language Test for the Admission of Foreign Study Applicants (DSH) with level DSH-2 as minimum
- TestDaF (German as a Foreign Language Test): the result in each of the subtests must be level 4 or better. If a level is passed with less than 4 points, the test cannot be accepted.
- German Standing Conference of Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs – Level II: all sub-areas at level C1
- Goethe Certificate C2: major German Language Diploma
- telc German C1 university certificate
- A passed Feststellungsprüfung (assessment test)
DSH course at the h_da
If you meet the minimum level of German for application to the h_da, but you still lack the minimum language requirements for studying, you will receive an invitation for the German preparatory course (DSH) at h_da.
Registration for courses and examinations is only possible at the DSH Counselling Centre. If you have any questions about language courses and examinations, please contact:
DSH Counselling Department
For more information, including deadlines and office hours, please visit the webseite of the Language Department.
Phone number: +49.6151.16-33335
Building C23, 1st floor, information desk