Support for refugees
Students at Risk - Hilde Domin-Programme from DAAD
The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) offers the scholarship programme "Hilde Domin Programme", funded by the Federal Foreign Office, which is aimed at students and doctoral candidates at risk worldwide who are formally or de facto denied the right to education in their country of origin. All information on the procedure can be found on the DAAD website.
The scholarship programme is aimed at refugee students, doctoral candidates and researchers as well as at persecuted doctoral candidates and doctoral researchers. Information on how to apply can be found on the website of the International Office.
Services offered to students suffering financial difficulties
- The Evangelical Student Community in Darmstadt offers fincancial aid for international students in financial difficulties.
- An Application for financial support can be made to the ‘Förderverein für in Not geratene Studierende’ at the h_da (Association for the support of students in financial need).
- The DAAD's emergency funds provide support for students who find themselves in a serious exceptional situation.
The Federal Training Assistance Act (Bundesausbildungsförderungsgesetz, BAföG) regulates state support for the training of pupils and students in Germany. In general, refugees who are
- approved recipients of asylum,
- recognised refugees in accordance with the Geneva Refugee Convention or
- persons entitled to subsidiary protection,
can apply for state support under the Federal Education and Training Assistance Act (BAföG). Detailed information is available via the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (German) and the BAföG advisory service of the Students' Association (German).
Information for refugees from Ukraine
From June 1st 2022, Ukrainian students can receive Federal Training Assistance (BAföG) if they have or have applied for a residence permit according to § 24 paragraph 1 of the Residence Act.
If you are enrolled in Darmstadt, you can apply for BAföG at the BAföG-Office at the Studierendenwerk Darmstadt.