All foreign students who do not come from the European Union, the European Economic Area or Switzerland and who wish to study in Germany for longer than 90 days require a residence permit. This must be applied for within three months of entry and before the expiry of the visa at the relevant foreigners authority (§ 16b Aufenthaltsgesetz (in German)).
Which foreigners authority is responsible for me?
The foreigners authority responsible for you depends on your registered place of residence. If you move your residence to another city, the responsible foreigners authority will also change.
Apply for a residence permit
The residence permit for the purpose of study is issued for a maximum of 2 years and can be extended afterwards, with a maximum duration of stay of 10 years.
The application must be submitted before the expiry of the visa or the existing residence permit. In this case, the previous residence permit is considered valid from the time of its expiration until the decision of the Foreigners Authority (§81, 4 AufhG). You can usually find the application form on the website of your competent foreigners authority.
Foreigners Office of Darmstadt
You can find the application for issuance/extension of a residence permit at the Foreigners' Registration Office of Darmstadt on the website of the city of Darmstadt (in German) by clicking "Formulare".
Good to know
The Service Center for Fill-In Assistance and Language Mediation assists you in filling out your forms and applications and accompanies you to your case processing if necessary. Several languages are offered.
- Valid passport including valid visa or previous residence permit and, if applicable, certificate of fictitiousness
- Completed application for issuance or application for renewal of residence permit
- 1 recent biometric photo
- Certificate of enrollment (available on the university portal my.h-da)
- Rental contract
To obtain a residence permit or its extension, you must prove that you can finance your living expenses during your studies. The proof of financing is regularly adjusted to the BaföG increases. Currently, the amount is 934 euros per month, or 11.208 euros for one year. A blocked account with this amount or a declaration of commitment can be presented as proof. You must provide proof of secure living expenses for each renewal of your residence permit.
For the extension of the residence permit:
In order to make a decision on the application for an extension of the residence permit, the Foreigners' Registration Office requests information from the university about your academic progress and the expected completion of your studies.
If you need such a confirmation from Darmstadt University of Applied Sciences, please send an e-mail to email@example.com stating your matriculation number and the foreigners authority for which you need the document. Please apply for the confirmation in time, because we need some time for the clarification with your faculty!
You should also note the following:
- The university must inform the Aliens' Registration Office whether your studies are being conducted properly. This is the case if you regularly attend courses and make progress in your studies.
- The average duration of studies (of all students of the respective study program) may not be exceeded by more than three semesters. Otherwise, the delay in studies must be justified. In individual cases, a discussion with the central study advisory service is therefore necessary.